As domestic flight operation is warming up for resumption. The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria(FAAN) has released new procedural guidelines for air travelers and other airport users ahead of July 8, 2020.
FAAN spokesperson and General Manager Public Affairs; Mrs Henrietta Yakubu said the new guidelines were part of the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) aimed at protecting all stakeholders and preventing further spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Yakubu described the guidelines as “New Normal”, departing passengers must arrive the airport properly kitted with their face mask on.
- Passengers must ensure a minimum of one point five meters physical distancing just as Aviation Medical/Port Health personnel are directed to screen each passenger and ensure the use of face mask.
- Those travelling with pets must get necessary clearance from Nigerian Agricultural Quarantine
- Passengers must undergo disinfection of all luggages before entry into the departure halls.
- Passengers are required to wash their hands as often as possible with the provision of hand sanitiser placed at strategic points such as the waiting halls/lounges and pre boarding gates.
- All footwear according to FAAN would be disinfected/sanitised by foot mats placed at all entrances to the terminal building.
- Passengers are expected to observe physical distancing on disembarking from airplanes and same as they board the Co-Buses.
Yakubu further stated that disinfected trolleys would be made available for passengers, hinting that all COVID-19 protocols must be observed while undergoing Customs check.
“Passengers would exit the halls and head straight to the car park for pick up, If you MUST speak to anyone around, please speak to a properly tagged Aviation Security (AVSEC) officer.
“Physical distancing would be maintained while waiting to be screened by personnel of port health services among others.
“In addition to the above guidelines, passengers are required to observe SOCIAL DISTANCING and make use of the floor markings at the security screening area. They must also comply with all other security guidelines as laid down by officials of the Aviation Security (AVSEC) department.”
She urged passengers and other stakeholders to respect and observe these necessary protocols, put in place for their protection.